The student news site of Chouteau High School

The Pride

• March 2Spring Break is March 14-18th

• September 28Fall Break, no school October 15th and 16th!

• September 28Chouteau Ladycats won districts in softball! Congratulations ladies!!

Chouteau Blood Drive

Chouteau-Mazie Public Schools did one of their several blood drives of the year on Wednesday, November 8th. The Blood Drive was held at the Junior High band room from 9am to 2pm. If a student wants to donate blood they can donate when they are 16, but they have to have parent consent. If a student is 18 or older they do not have to have a consent form. You must weigh at least 110 lbs and be in good health. The blood will be delivered to a Red Cross blood component laboratory where it is processed into several components such as red blood, plasma, platelets and/or cryoprecipitate. A single blood donations helps up to 3 people.

Donating blood is a safe process. Each donor’s blood is collected through a new, sterile needle that is used once then discarded. Although most people feel fine after donating blood, a small number of people may feel lightheaded or dizzy, have a upset stomach or may experience a bruise or pain where the needle was inserted. Extremely rarely, loss of consciousness, nerve damage or artery damage occur.

A normal blood donation process takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes to complete. The actual donation of the pint of blood only takes 8 to 10 minutes. However, the time varies with each person depending on several factors including the donor’s health history. The plasma from your donation is replaced within 24 hours of donating. Red cells need about 4-6 weeks for complete replacement. That’s why at least 8 weeks are required between blood donations.