The student news site of Chouteau High School

The Pride

• March 2Spring Break is March 14-18th

• September 28Fall Break, no school October 15th and 16th!

• September 28Chouteau Ladycats won districts in softball! Congratulations ladies!!

Unwind book review

Shyann Grisham, Contributor

Image result for unwind by neal shusterman

Young adult literature author Neil Shusterman’s novel is a 2007 science fiction novel. It takes place in the United States, after a Civil War in the future. So far into the future that I-pods are in antique stores. Abortion is illegal however mothers can stork their babies. If you’ve read the book you are familiar with the term “stork” if not storking is when a young mother has her child but doesn’t want to keep it so she goes to a random home and drops the baby on the doorstep. If the mother isn’t caught then the family must keep the baby but if the mother gets caught she must leave and take the baby with her. After the Heartland they came up with unwinding. From the age of 13-18 parents can sign papers to have their children unwound. Usually if they child misbehaves a lot, gets into a lot of fights or in China there can only be one girl go all the others go to be unwound. Another case is a Tithe where the child is born knowing they are gonna be unwound but believe it is a sacrifice for God. If a child is to be unwound they are sent to a Harvest Camp where they await their day to be unwound. However there are also runaway unwinds. They stay on the run up until their 18th birthday when they can be free from the age limit. They sometimes run into people who help them. For instance the Admiral. He gives them A place of refuge. Where they are safe but have to work. Connor Lassiter, Risa Ward, Levi “Lev” Jedediah Calder, Cyrus “CyFy” Finch, and Roland are the main characters who have ran. They all face many problems and struggles with being on the run. Will they be unwound? Read the book and find out.