The student news site of Chouteau High School

The Pride

• March 2Spring Break is March 14-18th

• September 28Fall Break, no school October 15th and 16th!

• September 28Chouteau Ladycats won districts in softball! Congratulations ladies!!

Many Types of Art

Payton Harris, Pop Culture

What is art? I’m sure many have asked this question. Art is something that is created with imagination and skill that is beautiful or expressed important ideas or feelings. Painting, sculpting, and drawing are a few examples of art.

Painting is a type of art that uses paint in a picture. Brushes, knives, sponges, and airbrushes are commonly used while painting. There are many kinds of surfaces paint is used on such as, walls, paper, canvas, wood, glass, lacquer, clay, leaf, copper, and concrete.

Sculpting is art that is created by carving, casting, or using other shaping techniques. Most of the time clay is most commonly used while sculpting. Wax, stone, metal, fabric, glass, wood, plaster, rubber, and sometimes random objects found are also used to make many different sculptures.

Drawing is art created with the use of lines. If you wanted to draw an object that interested you, you would be using lines to recreate it. You’d use a sketching pencil or even a regular pencil to draw it out. Even shapes such as a cone, cube, cylinder, or sphere are drawn in a 3-Dimensional or 2-Dimensional way. Drawing is used in many types of art projects. A recent one being, shattered values.

A shatter value involves using different mediums to give a drawing a shattered look. You start out by drawing out how you want to shatter your drawing by using lines. They can be horizontal, vertical, or parallel. You can start creating lines from the middle, side, or even a corner. Then you shade in each individual space from dark to light. You can’t let two dark or light spaces touch. If you do, it won’t make your drawing look as shattered. It’s a long process, but its a fun project to do in your free time!

There are many more types of art and techniques used in art. Some can be complicated and others a bit easier. No matter how you draw, even if it’s a line, you are creating art. Sometimes even a mistake can change everything.