The student news site of Chouteau High School

The Pride

• March 2Spring Break is March 14-18th

• September 28Fall Break, no school October 15th and 16th!

• September 28Chouteau Ladycats won districts in softball! Congratulations ladies!!

Switching mindsets

Drue Hendricks, Writer

Since June softball has been the number one priority for sophomores Haley Davis, Lilly Stutzman and freshman Jade Carver, switching to a basketball mindset is difficult.

Carver doesn’t find it easy to transfer over to basketball  because “now we get into our positions for defense in basketball and it is different from getting into positions for softball.”

The girls will be busy year round working on getting better on every aspect of the sports they love.

Davis has to “Focus on each play to help my team to get a win.”

Basketball and softball are competitive sports that need the strength and mindset of a champion. Both sports are very time consuming and players need a good work ethic to be able to separate the two sports while playing.

With only a week to switch, players’ preparations before a game change with their mindset.

Davis works on her “fielding, hitting, agility, and strength” before a softball game, but before a basketball game, she works on her “shooting, speed, and offense”

Being able to trust their teammates is a key part to playing a team sport. They have to be able to trust each other to remember the plays and/or be there to back each other when needed.

Carver feels good about her teammates and feels like “They will always have my back.”

When the players step on that field or court they have to be prepared and don’t expect a win to be easy. They try to play with the best of their ability.

Carver said that her mindset when she steps on the court or field is to “Play the best I can, and help bring my team to victory.”