The student news site of Chouteau High School

The Pride

• March 2Spring Break is March 14-18th

• September 28Fall Break, no school October 15th and 16th!

• September 28Chouteau Ladycats won districts in softball! Congratulations ladies!!

Senior Reflections

Rhoda Burkholder

softballNormally, when you think about softball; players, bases, and bats may come to mind. It never strikes your mind what you actually learn in softball. Softball teaches you to have confidence, and that you have to work for what you want. In softball you have to be able to fight back, and give all you have, and put it on the line for you, and your team. Life is just like softball; you get knocked down and you take a hit sometimes. Not everything always works out; you lose sometimes. You have to get over fear to accomplish your goals. In softball you have to be able to adjust to pitches and new positions. The same goes for life, you have to adjust to change. You learn the game by playing it. It requires you to be smart and alert. You have to work hard, you don’t just wake up one morning and know it. It takes practice and you also have to be coach-able.

Softball has changed my life for the good. It has had such a huge impact on how I view life. I could go on and on with everything softball has taught me on and off the field.

My senior year came faster than I wish it would have. Feels like it just started, but now its over. As an underclassmen you always think one day it will be me in the middle counting as the team stretches or how one day it will be me calling it up in between innings, and in the blink of an eye you’re in that position. Once you get it you don’t want it to end, you don’t want it to be the last time.

Never again will I play for the Chouteau Ladycats. Never again will it it be my responsibility to help get the field ready, get the equipment, or simply cheer on for the Chouteau Ladycat Softball Team.

So, the next time you see a softball game you’ll think of everything behind it. Understand that it’s not just a game for some and it’s not how we pass time, it’s what we do with that time. Also, know that the players started from nothing and made something out of it, with work and dedication.