The student news site of Chouteau High School
  • March 2Spring Break is March 14-18th

• September 28Fall Break, no school October 15th and 16th!

• September 28Chouteau Ladycats won districts in softball! Congratulations ladies!!

Assemblies Encourage Students To Think Before They Drink

Autumn Standingwater, Writer

Two assemblies were held during Red Ribbon Week at Chouteau-Mazie Schools last week to show the dangers of underage drinking while driving.

“They made it feel so real,”Caylynn Williams, freshman, said.

On Oct. 26, the mock wreck gave a visual image of what could happen if someone drinks and drives.

“The first responders moving around and interacting with the crowd using the equipment to help the people made it seem more real,” freshman Kaylee Soap said.

Then, on Oct. 28, three speakers met with students from the Victims’ Impact Panel (VIP) of Oklahoma.

“It was interesting to hear from both points of view,” Soap said.

The speakers shared the events that happened to their love ones and how their lives were affected by a drunk driver in one way or another.

“When they showed us pictures of their loved ones and told us about them, I felt many different emotions go through me,” Williams said.

The sharing was really emotional for the speakers and for the audience as well.  

“Working together we can save lives,” said Jarella Tear, executive director of the VIP. 

These two assemblies were designed to alert the youth and young adults of the dangers of underage drinking and drinking while driving.

“Hearing people’s point of views from both sides and how it has affected them is inspiring (to not drink and drive),” Soap said.