The student news site of Chouteau High School

The Pride

• March 2Spring Break is March 14-18th

• September 28Fall Break, no school October 15th and 16th!

• September 28Chouteau Ladycats won districts in softball! Congratulations ladies!!

A shining moment

Football fans raise money for injured Haskell player

CHS Journalism Staff

Chouteau and Holland Hall fans raised a little over $1,000 to help a Haskell football player who was injured in a game the previous week.

“They were very generous on both sides,” Principal Glen Bibelheimer said.

The $1,092 was raised Friday, Oct. 7, at Chouteau’s football game and is being deposited into a bank account to help with the family’s medical expenses.

“We just wanted to help out any way we could with the situation,” said Coach Mike Inglett, who arranged for the collection to take place. “Football is our life this time of year. You hate to hear when players get seriously hurt.”

According to the Go Fund Me account set up for the family, Reuben Wheeland, suffered a traumatic brain injury during their football game Sept. 30 against Henryetta. He was lifeflighted to the hospital and is in the intensive care unit.

Raising money for Wheeland is important, Chouteau Quarterback Coleman Ragland said, “because we’d want them to do the same thing for one of our kids on our football team.”

Chouteau Senior Noah Rosamond agrees that if something happened to one of our players, we’d want other people to help too.

During the fourth quarter, Chouteau cheerleaders took cans around to the visitor and home stands to collect the money.

“It felt really good knowing that even though this boy didn’t come from this community, that our community still wanted to help him and his family,” said cheerleader Emily Drumm.

“It was a shining moment at Chouteau,” Bibelheimer said.

1 Comment

One Response to “A shining moment”

1. Donna Coppedge on October 11th, 2016 5:11 pm

I have always known Chouteau is a great place and our students were among the best in the state. This gesture shows they still are. Proud of all!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

A shining moment