The student news site of Chouteau High School

The Pride

• March 2Spring Break is March 14-18th

• September 28Fall Break, no school October 15th and 16th!

• September 28Chouteau Ladycats won districts in softball! Congratulations ladies!!

School cuts.

Shyann Grisham, Contributor

As of today Chouteau-Mazie schools are not in crisis with the recent budget cuts. We do not need to let staff go or get out of school early. We are prepared for this year, however, next year will be more of a struggle. There will be a large financial cut next year. If we don’t get started this year we will find ourselves in a bad way. Other schools are having dramatic cuts. Everything is supplied from grants. Our board is given authority by the state auditing to spend 8.3 million this year. We will carry a minimum of 1 million this year. As property owners we pay if the state money is spent but not collected. Next year will be two times worse than this year. We need to trim $450 thousand off of the school budget. The best way to save is to not spend. We get approximately $2.4 million from our power plant which means the state has not had to aid us in the past, this next year will will actually qualify for state aid, but will likely not be receiving it. This is not the only school in the state that is facing a similar fate due to the drop in oil and natural gas prices. All of these cuts are from oil. 517 school districts across the state (1 school per county) loosing millions of dollars in our cut. If the school goes to a 4 day week it reduces cost of about $80 thousand dollars. We are seeking options as a district. Mr. Mason is asking for input from staff, parents and the community. We know with everyone’s patience and cooperation we can make it through this difficult time in our state.