The student news site of Chouteau High School

The Pride

• March 2Spring Break is March 14-18th

• September 28Fall Break, no school October 15th and 16th!

• September 28Chouteau Ladycats won districts in softball! Congratulations ladies!!

Standardized Testing

Do you spend too much time preparing for standardized tests? Students on average, spend between 20-25 hours on standardized testing per school year. Between pre-K and 12th grade students took around 112 mandatory standardized exams. Not including the required hours of preparation for those exams by the federal government and day to day classroom quizzes and tests.A standardized test is any form of test that requires all test takers to answer the same questions, and that is scored in a consistent way. English language learners take tests in English before they have mastered the language. Special education students take the same tests as other children, receiving few of the accommodations that are usually provided to them as part of their Individualized Education Plans.
Although, studies show that 93% of students benefit from these tests. Standardized testing is also helping kids master the curriculum that they require. Rather than narrowing the it. June-July 2013 Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll found that 75% of parents say standardized tests “are a solid measure of their children’s abilities” and 69% say the tests “are a good measure of the schools’ quality.” 93% of parents say standardized tests “should be used to identify areas where students need extra help” and 61% say their children “take an appropriate number of standardized tests.”
Why are students in the United States taking more and more standardized tests? What effect does that have on teachers, students, schools and curriculum? What can these kinds of tests tell us? Or what can’t they tell us? How good are these tests currently? How could they be better?